Thursday, April 12, 2012

Unsubscribe

In my migration from my various single lady e-mail addresses I am having to go through each e-mail account & decide which retailers, blogs, & news outlets I want to continue to receive e-mail from.  Anybody who's ever picked up my cell phone or opened my laptop knows that this is no small task because I am subscribed to EVERYTHING. This can be good, or bad. Good because I always know what's on sale. Bad because I always know what's on sale. And REALLY bad because I have the exact opposite of a methodical process by which I process each of my e-mails.  The reality is that I don't process, read, or weed out any e-mails. I basically read the ones that require action (Zeta e-mail, personal e-mail from family or friends) & I read the ones that interest me (Rue La La, LTD Commodities, Etsy, etc.). So all of the subscribing I've done over the years as I've shopped for gifts or taken advantage of a really great deal...I never read those e-mails. I have subscribed to blogs that I literally NEVER read. I read all of my friends' blogs, but Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Life" Blog...totally sweet, and I'm at least 80% on board with the message, but I just don't have an interest in reading her thoughts every day. Maybe you're thinking the same thing about me...that's cool.

Anyway, in migrating over to my new e-mail address I'm trying to simplify my life. Only be registered to receive e-mails from companies, bloggers, news outlets that I'm actually interested in.  To that point (& this one's a biggy) I have kindly let Pinterest & Facebook know that they don't need to alert me every time somebody likes my status or re-pins one of my pins. As we all know, the nature of Pinterest is that others will repin. I don't need to be alerted.

little me...demonstrating
my feelings about simplicity
& summer!
Some other liberating unsubscribing I have been doing is the e-mail blasts of a couple of bars here in Chicago that I haphazardly signed up for with the promise of "a free party" or "awesome deals". This turned out to be Uncle Fatty's Rum Resort e-mailing me a few times a week to let me know that they're having $1 beers on a night that I could NEVER go out or a Playstation contest I would NEVER participate in or spectate. So those e-mails are history. Perhaps my favorite e-mail subscription to discontinue has been to The Knot, The Wedding Wire, Martha Stewart Weddings, The Aisle New York, Kleinfeld, David's Bridal & anything else BRIDAL. I am SO HAPPY to never read any of those articles or blogs or websites EVER. AGAIN....until one of my best girls gets married, then I bet I'll have ever more fun reading them on their behalf than I did on my own. Soon enough.

I am so looking forward to eliminating my old e-mail addresses from my phone & my laptop. I can't wait to open my inbox & actually be able to sort through the communication in there.

Here are some other things I can't wait for:
Graduation
To read for fun
Evanston Farmer's Market
To sleep on our new mattress
My birthday (hence the latest blog "theme")
My parents to get here
Ash Mat's Visit
Festival Season
Oh...did I mention Graduation?

Happy Thursday Y'all!
Simply,
Meggo



No comments:

Post a Comment